St. Anne Catholic Church
Location & Contact Info
23949 22 Mile Rd.
Paris, MI 49338
Click Here to Email Us
In Case of Emergency and you need a Priest, please call (231) 287-0972
8:00 AM - Sunday
8:30 AM - Wednesday (June - October only)
4:00 - 4:30 PM - Saturday @ St. Philip Neri
St. Anne Parish was founded 1888 in Paris Michigan• There was a settlement of about 30 families, mostly Irish Catholics who wished to have their own church. St. Anne was one of the twelve to eighteen missions founded during the years of 1880-1888 by the mother parish of St. Mary's Catholic Church of Big Rapids, Michigan. At that time Father Thomas Dalton was the priest from Big Rapids who came once a month to celebrate mass. Before the church was built mass was offered in a little old log house over the hill, south of the church.
In the early 1900's Rev. Anthony Schumacher became the first resident pastor of St. Philip Neri in Reed City and St. Anne became the mission church.
Through hard work and planning a church was built on the site near the settlement of Irish Catholic people who migrated here. According to information in St. Anne's early files on August 24, 1893. Bishop Richter blessed the Church, giving it the name of St. Anne.
The church was a bit smaller than it is today. In 1920 the church was enlarged by 18 feet. A basement and belfry were added along with a steeple and vestibule.
In the early days Father would come by train to St. Anne Church on Saturday night and go to different families' homes for supper. Father would return to the church and hear confessions Saturday night and sleep in the sacristy over night and celebrate mass on Sunday morning.
In 1967 the beautiful shrine over-looking our church was built with the help of many dedicated parishioners.
As we look back we realize our ancestors had rough and trying times, but were blessed. With God's help they were able to pass on their strong faith from generation to generation.
St. Anne Parish is truly a devoted and active community, as were the early settlers before them.